• Maintains the electronic functions of the lens, including auto-focus and auto-exposure
• All metal construction and smooth surface for effortless mounting
• No optical insert - maintains lens optical quality
• Can combine tubes for various macro ratios
• Limited 2-Year Manufacturer Warranty
Fotodiox Pro Auto Macro Extension Tube for Nikon Z-Mount Mirrorless Cameras are automatic tubes that communicate all electronic functions from the lens to camera, including auto-focus and auto-exposure. Macro extension tubes are a wonderful alternative to expensive macro lenses. Macro extension tubes maintain the original optical quality while transforming the normal lens into a macro lens. By placing distance between your camera body and lens, focusing distance is shortened and the effect of magnifying your subject is created. Because no optical components are added into this extension tube, the image preserves the original optical properties of the lens.
This is far more desired than the close-up lenses which are added to the front of the lens via filter thread, which alter the optical quality resulting in a blurry image full of artifacts. Adding an extension tube increases the effective aperture, reducing the amount of light entering the camera, which means you will need to use either a longer shutter speed or higher ISO to compensate for the loss of light. Your camera, if it's set to an automatic exposure mode, will take care of this automatically for you. Macro extension tubes are an affordable and simple way to turn any existing lens into a macro lens.
Back to Highlights
An extension tube is simply a hollow cylinder that fits in between your camera and lens, causing the lens to move farther from the sensor. This additional distance allows your lens to focus more closely, which in turn provides more magnification capability. Unlike most lens accessories, extension tubes don't add any extra optics, and are therefore relatively inexpensive, simple devices.
|Choose a Magnification:
|Note: Diagram assumes that the lens is symmetric (pupil magnification = 1)
An extension tube increases lens magnification by an amount equal to the extension distance divided by the lens focal length. For example, adding a 25 mm extension tube to a 50 mm lens will give a magnification gain of 0.5X. Therefore, if the lens's original magnification was 0.15X, then the new magnification will be 0.15X+0.5X=0.65X. The closest focusing distance will also decrease to ~210 mm.
0.15X Max Magnification
with typical 50 mm lens
0.65X Max Magnification
after 25 mm extension tube
Note: Shown using a full frame camera and a Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4 lens
All camera lenses have some amount of native extension, which is used to focus on everyday objects. Lenses with closer focusing distances usually have more native extension, but these will also benefit less from extension tubes. Try experimenting with different lenses to see how extension affects magnification.
• Extension tubes work best with short to medium focal lengths, they are less effective with telephoto lenses
• Extra magnification also magnifies camera shake as well as the subject, tripod use is recommended
• Be sure to use the smallest aperture (largest number) on your lens to give you adequate depth-of-field for better quality images
• Each ring brings you closer to the subject as you increase the distance between lens and camera
• Different lens lengths will require a different distance to be used from the subject, if the subject is not in focus move the camera closer or further from the subject until the subject comes into focus
• The effectiveness of extension tubes decreases as focal length increases. You will need to be careful when working with extreme wide-angle lenses as the focusing distance required may be closer to the lens than physically possible (ie you'd hit the front lens element before you achieve focus).
For More information on Macro Extension Tube usage and calculations, please check the links below:
• ¹ Macro Extension Tubes & Close-Up Lenses - Cambridge In Colour
• The Ultimate Guide to Extension Tubes - Shutter Muse
All pictures are for illustration purposes only. Actual product may vary slightly due to ongoing improvements in design.